Powered By Blogger

Saturday 20 March 2010

Drugs- Crystal Meth


I have recently researched the drug methylamphetamine (crystal meth). It is said to give you a high better the heroine and it can last up to 24 hours. "It can bring on a feeling of exhilaration, and increased arousal and activity levels. People feel more awake and it suppresses appetite". It is very addictive and causes long term damage to the body psychologically and physically. If the drug is abused for a long time then when a person stops taking the drug they may not be able to experience pleasure again because the brain actually shuts down that area of the brain.

America are in the middle of a meth epidemic and have a website specifically for the use of meth and how to stop people using it, the effects and symptoms of it and a discussion. Under the entry of a mother who lost her son to meth is a little story of hope; "Back in the early 90's is when I started using meth. I liked it because of the energy it gave me and the weight I lost. I did it not realizing what it would do to my life. I lived on the stuff, eating occasionally, and not sleeping for days and days... I did meth for at least 7 years. I was addicted. The drug is NOT easy to give up, but I did it. NO rehab, but self determination. I seen people around me losing everything. I seen people getting thrown in jail, we had Dea come to my house looking for a lab in front of my kids, thankfully we were not the cooks, we were just the users. Reality hit me dead in the face that this was not the life to live no longer...It's not easy to get over drug addiction... I did it and have been clean for 10 years now." This extract into a meth users life shows that the drug completely controls your life, even endangering your children. Like many addictions, mothers will not give meth up whilst they are pregnant and obviously this effects the unborn child.

This sort of Class A drug abuse is a lot worse than using Class C and even some B drugs as you can get addicted to meth very quickly because 'real life' doesn't appeal to you as much and so the vicious circle begins.

A very detailed and opinionated discussion has started online because someone has asked for heroin and meth users to give their opinion on whether he should try either substances. Just by looking at the first page, many of the comments put a preference on heroin as meth is "one of the most addictive and damaging drugs around".

It seems that most people get into meth because they do not realise how addictive it can turn out to be or how physically damaging it is. At first it seems great, it makes you happy, you can stay awake for ages (perfect for parties), it makes you loose weight and it all lasts longer than other drugs! But then it seems that this drug can very quickly turn around and take you out by surprise.




No comments:

Post a Comment